This custard recipe is super simple and quick to make. Great for eating on its own or to be used in Skoleboller or other baked goods.
I mainly use custard for Skoleboller (Norwegian Coconut Custard buns), but this recipe yields versatile custard for any use. It's even good on its own!
- 2 cups Whipping cream (33%)
- 3 tsp Vanilla (or 1 beanstalk)
- 4 Egg yolks
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 ⅓ tbsp Cornstarch
- Put the vanilla (whole bean or extract) in the cream and heat. Once it boils, take the pot off the stove and remove the vanilla bean (if applicable).
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch in a separate bowl.
- Gradually whisk the cream into the egg mix to get a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot and heat while stirring regularly. Important: Do not bring to a boil, as this will cause the mixture to separate.
- The cream thickens as it heats up, so you want to aim for somewhere right under the boiling point.
- Once the consistency of the custard cream is thick enough, remove it from the heat and pour it into a separate bowl and let cool down. If you are refrigerating overnight, cover the bowl with plastic wrap to prevent milk skin from forming.